A High-Protein Vegan Superfood Smoothie Bowl Recipe: 6 Tips for Success
by Kiki Athanas
October 07, 2019
There's something incredibly satisfying about being able to design the ultimate meal - bonus if you can throw some insanely good-for-you (yet not exactly "tasty") ingredients into the mix so that you can reap the benefits long after you enjoy the final bite. That's exactly why I love smoothie bowls - how else you could possibly consume cleansing zeolite, stabilizing ashwagandha, and longevity-enhancing shilajit - without needing to take loads of yucky capsules or stinky tinctures? In fact, with the right mix, smoothie bowls can prove to be the most delicious way to get a truly well-balance meal into your day, with a bonus whack of herbs & superfoods that will have you feeling superhuman in no time!
The trick is to master the secret-sauce to a smoothie bowl that tastes as good as it feels. In my humble opinion, I've mastered it thanks to (very expensive) trial and error research over the years...and now I want to share some of the most valuable take-aways for your ease of smoothie bowl making magic:
- Pick a fruit base that's delicious, creamy, and sweet. I like bananas because they are cheap & high in potassium, but any sort of squash works well too (if you're super carb-hesitant...opt for zucchini!). This ensures your consistency is bowl-appropriate, and the sweeter the base, the more room for bitter herbs like ashwagandha ;)
- If you must go with a "protein powder" stick to this one and only rule: THEY SHOULD HAVE JUST ONE INGREDIENT! No, it might not make it the most "exciting" protein at the health food store, but it will surely guarantee you are avoiding weird gums, sweeteners, or other artificial crap you are better off without! I love pea protein because it's smooth & adds a (naturally) nice flavour. A basic hemp or pumpkin seed protein works well too (although I do find hemp seed protein to be a bit...earthy).
- Take advantage of the opportunity to use up those swanky superfoods you'd otherwise forget about (seriously - they are too expensive to go neglected in your kitchen cabinets!). Some of my favourites include spirulina (a great detoxifying vegan protein), chaga mushroom (high in antioxidants and a known anti-cancer herb), pearl powder (great for hair, skin, and nails - hello "plant-based collagen"!)
- Swap store-bought nut/oat "mylk" for spring water + a fat of your choice. While almond milk from your local grocer seems like the obvious "healthy" option, it is likely loaded with preservatives and contains way less "almonds" than you think...if any at all! The good thing about smoothie bowls is that you can literally just add water + a couple whole almonds instead and ensure you're only putting the very best (and no other weird stuff) into your body.
- Like it thick? Yeah, me too. After one too many battles with trying to blend up all the edible magic in my nutribullet, I decided to move to bigger and better devices...a food processor! If you have access to one of these bad boys, trust me when I say it greatly improves the process - in terms of speed, effectiveness, and noise!
- Top it up and don't afraid to get creative. A smoothie bowl is not a smoothie BOWL if it doesn't have a bit of a crunch! Try sprinkling something to get the digestive juices flowing (i.e. ingredients you literally have to CHEW) like raw cacao nibs, dried mulberries, and maybe a tablespoon (or 2!) of bee pollen for good measure/immunity.
So there you have it - a few smoothie bowl "basics" to ensure your next blendtastic meal goes way above and beyond your basic betch recipe.