Move Over Maple Syrup, There's a New Superfood Sap in Town
Just maybe not exactly in my town, and probably not in yours either - but this medicinal substance cultivated exclusively from the Greek island of Chios, is definitely one of those healthy secrets you've likely never heard of.
UNTIL NOW - BOOM! Allow me to introduce you to "mastic".
Mystical, magical, MASTIC.
Let's jump right into why the heck you're gonna mission it to the Danforth ("Greek town"?) as soon as you discover what this beautiful sap is all about:
- A sap produced in "tears" (or droplets), sun-dried into pieces of resin with a similar consistency to gum.
- Bitter at first (HELLO HAPPY DIGESTION), and then releasing a fresh and almost minty or pine-like favour (HELLO BETTER BREATH), this is like healthy gum but it's actually natural and actually works to reduce oral bacteria, prevent tooth decay and gingivitis.
- In addition to being an aid to your digestive system, it also contains antioxidants and has antibacterial as well as antifungal properties - powerful enough to treat some types of ulcers in the body!
- A recent scientific study also showed that consuming mastic in powder form over the long-term (i.e. consistently over 1-2 years) actually resulted in decreased levels of serum total cholesterol, LDL, and total cholesterol/HDL ratio.
- Last but not least, this magical substance is commonly used as the active ingredient in ointments for skin disorders and afflictions.
So how exactly are you going to get a piece of this goodness for yourself you ask?!
K, here's the dealio - I've found that you can get it in a couple of different ("Kiki-approved") forms:
- Mastic infused spring water: sold as "Mastiqua"
- As a chewing gum: "ELMA"
- The extracted oil: "Mastiha oil"
So there you have it, another long lost superfood to get on your radar - and perhaps inspire your next vacation to the Greek Islands?
P.S. I've (almost) got my hands on another luxurious Greek superfood and I will HOPEFULLY have the opportunity to share the offering with all you mighty fine health nuts out there...stay tuned for online store updates later this summer! Xo